Author: Kyle Prue
Narrator: Jon Eric Preston
Length: 12 hours 16 minutes
Series: The Feud Trilogy, Book 2
Publisher: Cartwright Publishing
Released: Jan. 18, 2018
Genre: YA Fantasy
To survive incredible odds, one teen may have to trust both his former enemies and his fire-forged destiny….
Neil Vapros is one of the last free warriors of the great city of Altryon. He and his brother’s only chance of staying alive involves trusting an uneasy alliance with their former enemies. But in the world beyond his city’s walls, Neil’s life is much more dangerous than he ever imagined possible….
The Emperor has hired a ruthless madman and a vicious pack of assassins to hunt down the last supernatural survivors. As the allies attempt to hide from their enemies, the leader of a rebellion singles out Neil as the answer to a prophecy. Neil isn’t sure he believes he’s been “chosen”, but he knows one thing for sure: their only chance for survival lies in sticking together. While treachery and pain wait around every corner, Neil and his allies may win the day, but victory without casualties could prove impossible….
The Flames is the second book in the award-winning Epic Feud trilogy of young adult fantasy novels. If you like rich fantasy settings, imaginative supernatural abilities, and tough-as-nails characters, then you’ll love Kyle Prue’s electrifying adventure.
Buy The Flames to fire up the action today!
Kyle Prue is an award winning author, actor and comedian. Kyle wrote The Sparks: Book 1 of the Feud Trilogy when he was just 16 years old. Kyle has spent the past year on a national book tour visiting over 80 middle and high schools and meeting over 60,000 students. Kyle is now a freshman at the University of Michigan, studying acting and creative writing. He still visits schools and is a keynote speaker for conferences.
Kyle is the founder of Sparking Literacy, a non-profit dedicated to lowering the high school dropout rate by inspiring teens to read, write and follow their dreams. The Sparks has won numerous national awards including Best YA Fiction awards from: The Florida Authors and Publisher’s Association, the Florida Book Festival, New England Book Festival, Midwest Book Festival, Southern California Book Festival, and the International London Book Festival. Kyle also won an International Moonbeam Award and IndieFab Award for Best Young Author.
Jon Eric Preston received his Theatre degree from Florida State University after returning from the London program. He earned top honors narrating in the Dramatic Interpretation category on the Speech and Debate team, and performed professionally in Children’s Theatre companies and did National Tours of A Christmas Carol, Twelfth Night, and Othello.
As a SAG BookPAL and a father reading to his two boys for more than 12 years, moving into the booth to record audiobooks was a natural and joy filled progression.
He is thrilled to be narrating and giving voice to the characters for Kyle Prue’s Feud Trilogy.
Q&A with Author Kyle Prue
- Do you believe certain types of writing translate better into audiobook format?
- Lots of dialogue is always better for audiobooks. Although, in my opinion dialogue is better for everything.
- Was a possible audiobook recording something you were conscious of while writing?
- No, but I found when I listened to auditions I did in fact have beliefs about how my characters should sound. As I write my third – and having produced two audiobooks at this point – I can say I’m thinking of it this time around. And it’s a helpful perspective to have, has helped me refine my own narrative voice on the page, I think.
- How did you select your narrator?
- We held auditions through ACX. We were paying for performance rather than based on royalties so we had a lot of great narrators audition. They all seemed equally talented until we received Preston’s audition. Then we all said, “This is the guy!” His voices are phenomenal and really let you picture what the movie would be like.
- How do you manage to avoid burn-out? What do you do to maintain your enthusiasm for writing?
- I work on different projects to keep my interest. There are times when I have to set a project aside and let it percolate before I can write it. I had to spend about a year thinking about the Flames before I was ready to write it. So I worked on other projects to keep my creative juices flowing.
- Is there a particular part of this story that you feel is more resonating in the audiobook performance than in the book format?
- Whenever I get to listen to the monologues I’m alway impressed by how they come to life when spoken aloud.
- If you had the power to time travel, would you use it? If yes, when and where would you go?
- I’d use it to meet my deadlines on time.
- What do you say to those who view listening to audiobooks as “cheating” or as inferior to “real reading”?
- I don’t think it’s cheating but I do think it is very different. It’s a good idea to do both. Audiobooks are very convenient and have their place. I mean, it’s not like I can very well read on the highway. Law Enforcement frowns upon that sort of thing.
- Have any of your characters ever appeared in your dreams?
- Luckily none of my characters have ever entered my dreams. I’d say a fair number of them have a questionable moral code so I’m alright with that.
- How did you celebrate after finishing this novel?
- It takes me roughly two months of daily strenuous writing to finish a book. So once a book is finally done I’ll usually take a week to get back on a healthy sleep schedule. Then it’s time to edit.
- What bits of advice would you give to aspiring authors?
- You must read. As Stephen King says, “If you don’t have time to read, then you don’t have the time or tools to write.”
Kyle Prue’s Dream Cast for The Feud Trilogy
- Neil: Brenton Thwaites (or Kyle Prue, if Brenton Thwaites is not available)
- Saewulf: Michael Fassbender
- Darius: Luke Bracey
- Lilly: Alexandra Daddario or Emma Watson
- Rhys: Dane DeHann
- Jennifer and Victoria: Teresa Palmer
- Bianca: Leven Rambin
- Michael: Chris Hemsworth
- Carlin: Mark Strong
- The Emperor: Benedict Cumberbatch
- Jonathan: Rico Rodriguez
- Sir Vapros: Mads Mikkelsen
- Quintus: Jonah Hill (Cameo Role)
➜Sign up as a host here